Get ready for a fabulous month of crafting with buttons! That’s right, July is button month on our blog and we’ll be showing you some fun and simple projects you can make easily.
The fun is not over. We are looking for your creative button projects to feature right here on our blog. For those projects we feature we’ll send you a prize from Total Class Creative!!! Submit here or leave a comment with your link.
Today we are making this adorable button fringe & handle felt purse for all the little dress up divas out there. You’ll need to check back later this month to see the tutorials on how to make the matching button headband and bracelet. Let’s get started!
- Pink Felt Purse Kit (TCC)
- Pink Tulle
- Pink Craft thread
- Buttons, buttons, & more buttons (variety of pink shades & sizes)
- Craft Glue
Note: The pink felt purse kits comes with 4 felt purse cutouts, 4 adhesive back felt cutouts, 2 craft thread – 51 in (129.5 cm) & 1 plastic needle. You will have 1 felt purse cutout (handle) left over since we are making a fringe handle out of buttons.
- Hem stitch purse flap (see below for hem stitch instructions).
- Assemble purse front and back using hem stitch through the pre-punched holes (make sure snaps are facing the right direction before stitching pieces together).
- Next we’ll start using a button fringe technique. For the fringe use the smaller buttons and larger buttons for the handle.
- Thread button through two holes.
- Tie a square knot to secure button. Add a drop of glue to keep from fraying.
- Cut string at the edge of the button.
- String the buttons to desired length for fringe and handle. For this project the fringe length is 11 small buttons, 11 fringe strands of fringe & Handle is 36 med/large buttons.
- Attach button fringe to purse buy pulling the string through bottom punched holes and tying a knot and pulling loose end of thread through inside of purse.
- Attach button Handle to purse.
- Add felt flowers, buttons, rhinestones & ribbon for accents.
Isn’t this just totally cute?! Every little diva will want one of these.
How to make a hem stitch instructions:
- Insert your needle from the inside of the piece so it comes out the front.
- Insert the needle to the left of where the thread is coming out of the front piece.
- Pull the thread through most of the way, then put your needle through the loop from the back to the front. (Pull the first stitch so it is a little loose. You will need the loose floss to complete the last stitch.)
- You will make your stitches following step 2 and 3 above.
- Complete the edging by putting your needle under the vertical bar of the first stitch. Pull tight.
- On the inside, put your needle through the initial knot. Make your final knot.
- You’re done!